Thank you for your interest in volunteering for the Friends of the Library!
The Friends rely on volunteers to successfully support the Metropolitan Library System. As a volunteer, you can help in two ways:
Annually at the Friends Booksale in February. The Booksale is one of the largest in the nation involving over 1,000 volunteers and raising close to $250,000 each year. The proceeds from the sale are given in grants to support the Metropolitan Library System.
What do I do to sign up for Booksale?
- Choose the way you’d like to help and the day and time that work for you
- Log in if you are a returning volunteer, or complete the online volunteer application.
Booksale Volunteers can:
- Assist with moving in and setting up before the sale begins.
- Help customers by monitoring line flow, cashiering, holding purchases, and stocking books on tables.
- Work behind the scenes with fellow volunteers and perform other tasks as needed.
- Receive service hours for schools, clubs, and scholarships.
- Shop early before the Booksale, and shop FREE after the sale!
- Have Fun!
Opportunities will be posted in October 2022.
Year round at the Sort Site. Sort Site volunteers get books ready for Booksale and volunteering is a more in-depth commitment. Volunteers choose a day of the week and volunteer throughout the year Monday through Friday from 8:30 - 12:30 and 1 - 4 on Wednesdays.
How do I get started volunteering at the Sort Site?
- Choose the way you’d like to help and the days that work for you.
- Complete the online volunteer application.
- Sort Site Volunteers will then begin an approval process including a background check, orientation, and training.
What Can I do as a Sort Site Volunteer?
- Help in the warehouse where books are received
- Sort and box book donations and library withdrawals to be sold at Booksale
- Post qualifying books for sale through Amazon, and manage the mailing of books
- Enjoy the camaraderie of fellow book-lovers!
Frequently Asked Questions
Friends of the Library
300 NE 50th Street, Oklahoma City, OK 73105
Tuesday: 9 am to Noon
Wednesday: 9 am to Noon
Thursday: 9 am to Noon
© 2022 Metropolitan Library System. All Rights Reserved.