Thank you for your interest in volunteering for the Friends of the Library!
The Friends rely on volunteers to successfully support the Metropolitan Library System. As a volunteer, you can help in two ways:
Annually at the Friends Booksale in February. The Booksale is one of the largest in the nation involving over 1,000 volunteers and raising close to $250,000 each year. The proceeds from the sale are given in grants to support the Metropolitan Library System.
What do I do to sign up for Booksale?
- Choose the way you’d like to help and the day and time that work for you
- Log in if you are a returning volunteer, or complete the online volunteer application.
Booksale Volunteers can:
- Assist with moving in and setting up before the sale begins.
- Help customers by monitoring line flow, cashiering, holding purchases, and stocking books on tables.
- Work behind the scenes with fellow volunteers and perform other tasks as needed.
- Receive service hours for schools, clubs, and scholarships.
- Shop early before the Booksale, and shop FREE after the sale!
- Have Fun!
Opportunities will be posted closer to the event. Please, fill out the form below to be notified when opportunities are posted.
Year round at the Sort Site. Sort Site volunteers get books ready for Booksale and volunteering is a more in-depth commitment. Volunteers choose a day of the week and volunteer throughout the year on Tuesday, Wednesday and/or Thursday mornings from 8 am to 12 noon.
How do I get started volunteering at the Sort Site?
- Choose the way you’d like to help and the days that work for you.
- Complete the online volunteer application.
- Sort Site Volunteers will then begin an approval process including a background check, orientation, and training.
What Can I do as a Sort Site Volunteer?
- Help in the warehouse where books are received
- Sort and box book donations and library withdrawals to be sold at Booksale
- Post qualifying books for sale through Amazon, and manage the mailing of books
- Enjoy the camaraderie of fellow book-lovers!
For the health and safety of our volunteer community the Friends of the Library have temporarily closed all volunteering opportunities. If you are interested in volunteering year-round at our Sort Site please, fill out the form below to be notified when opportunities have been reopened.
Volunteer Notification Sign-up
Frequently Asked Questions
Each person interested in volunteering will need to select an opportunity and complete the online volunteer profile before volunteering. This ensures that we have the appropriate number of volunteers in each area for each shift.
Volunteers for the Friends must be 14 years of age or older. Due to insurance requirements, there are no exceptions to this rule.
Unfortunately, due to insurance requirements, no. While volunteering for the Friends, you may not bring children 13 years of age and under unless they are being supervised by someone who is not volunteering.
Yes! For Booksale, please choose either customer service or cashiering in the Better Books Room area. These areas have jobs that are suitable for sitting.
For the Sort Site, please choose Amazon sales volunteering.
Friends of the Library
300 NE 50th Street, Oklahoma City, OK 73105
Currently Closed until Further Notice due to COVID19
© 2021 Metropolitan Library System. All Rights Reserved.